I kicked off the first chilly night of the season by serving stew beef with mashed potatoes and peas. It is a favorite dinner at my house this time of year.
Have y’all ever heard of it? I don’t know if stew beef is the proper name for the dish, but it’s what Mamaw called it. Depending on where you’re from, you may know it as stewed beef or beef tips.
It’s all the same thing: beef stew cooked in brown gravy.
I let some simmer on the stove the other night while we watched a horror movie. The aroma floating through the house had us all ravenous by the time the movie credits rolled.
Dinner hit the spot that night! Nothing is better than a plate full of hot comfort food on a chilly evening.
If you’ve never had stew beef before, you’ve got to try it. It won’t disappoint! I’ve dropped the recipe below. Y’all enjoy!
Stew Beef Recipe
- 2 pounds beef stew meat
- Salt & pepper
- Italian seasoning
- 1 Bay leaf
- Gravy Master seasoning
- 3 cups beef broth
- 1 Lipton Beefy Onion Soup mix packet
- 1 cup water, divided
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- Pat of butter
- Melt tallow in a large, deep skillet over medium-high heat. Season stew meat with Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper. Add stew meat to the skillet, searing on all sides.
- Add beef broth, onion soup, 1 bay leaf, 1/4 teaspoon Gravy Master, and a 1/2 cup of water to the skillet. Stir well. Cover and cook over low heat for 1-2 hours.
- Remove beef from the skillet with a slotted spoon, and discard the bay leaf. Bring remaining broth to a boil.
- Make a cornstarch slurry by mixing the remaining 1/2 cup of water with three tablespoons of cornstarch. Add to boiling broth. Stir until thick.
- Remove the gravy from heat, add a pat of butter, and stir until melted.
- Do not allow the beef to boil, or it’ll be tough.
- Serve over rice, buttered noodles, or mashed potatoes.
- Add a can of Cream of Mushroom for a heartier meal.